Just about anything and everything under the sun....

 
Other Things
I seem to have lost some of my links due to the change in template. For those who want to be added please just leave a message in my shoutbox below! thanks!
other blogs I author
  • ang tambayan ni rj
  • Leave me a message :)

    Free chat widget @ ShoutMix
    >
    Stats!!
    Blog for the Day
    Soundz!!!


    MusicPlaylistRingtones
    Music Playlist at MixPod.com

    My Readers
    Paypal withdrawal to Philippine Bank Accounts
    Wednesday, January 30, 2008

    Ever since Paypal announced that it will be allowing registered paypal users to withdraw funds from their paypal account and transfer it directly to banks in the Philippines, I noticed quite a few blogs writing about the topic. My friend Kuya Lestat redirected me to PMT(which stands for Pinoy Money Talk) when we were discussing about routing codes for paypal transfers. PMT has provided a step-by-step instruction on how to go about the fund transfer. However, I noticed quite a commotion on the “bank code” required to consummate the withdrawal transaction. I presume most were left in the dark when it came to this “bank code.” PMT likewise did its best to compensate for Paypals lack of information on the matter.

    Indeed there was quite a confusion with this much required "bank code." First off, I believe Paypal described this as a routing number or ABA number if I am not mistaken. The ABA number is actually a 9 digit number uniquely assigned to the bank for identification/routing purposes(kind of like an ID Card No. in school). Now if you are a Filipino inquiring in any Philippine bank and you ask for the banks ABA number, I believe you might not be provided the right one. Why? Upon inquiry from a reliable source, Philippine banks do not have an ABA number. What we do have is the Bank Routing Symbol Transit Number or BRSTN which coincidentally is also nine digits. Secondly, I also read that the "bank code" is usually that 9 digit number printed on the topmost part of checks beside the check number(I assume that this is for dollar checks). Allow me to point out that the BRSTN is also printed on the same location for philippine checks.

    Having made this observation, there was already a nagging feeling inside my chest that maybe I was on the right track. I had second thoughts though, because publishing a post that could affect lots of people in doing their paypal transfer transaction is no joke. Notwithstanding the fact that there are charges to be incurred in doing the transfer and I didn't want to take the risk. Going back to my bank code discussion, as per Paypals' release of the Official List of Paypal Philippines Bank Codes, these codes are actually the BRSTN of the banks main offices. These BRSTNs are uniquely assigned to each bank. Let us take for example, Allied Bank having a routing number of 010320013. Whereby, 01 pertains to the region number(in this case, Metro Manila); 032 would be the numerical bank id or bank code(if you would notice, all Allied Bank branches would be assigned a 032, whereas Metrobank would have 026, etc).

    I encourage readers not to mention the ABA number when they are inquiring in Philippine bank branches, for the reason I have stated above, where Philippine Banks do not have ABA numbers(well technically they are not called ABA numbers here in the Philippines). Second, do not mention wire transfers for they will give you the SWIFT code(usually in this form--BNORPHMM or EWBCPHMM) instead. Some universal banks like Metrobank, BPI and Chinabank might be able to give you an ABA number when it comes to wire transfers, but that will most likely be the ABA number of the Phiippine banks nostro account abroad. This would still depend on what place the wire transfer is coming from.

    That being said, while it is indeed a breakthrough , it is still in its early stages. However, I hope it could be well-developed so that it could serve the purpose for which it was implemented in the first place. Much thanks to PMT for keeping us updated with the developments. Just a tip, when you ask for a banks routing number(for paypal transactions), ask them the BRSTN of the banks main branch.

    Labels: ,

    posted by RJ @ Wednesday, January 30, 2008  
    5 Comments:
    • At January 30, 2008 at 1:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

      hi, just want to add info... the official bank codes can be found on this http://pages.ebay.ph/bankwithdrawal/bank_codes_ph.html

       
    • At January 31, 2008 at 5:19 AM, Blogger RJ said…

      thanks anthony! i was meaning to quote that but i couldn't enter ebay last night so i opted to link back to PMT on the Official Phil. bank codes list(in red font)..

      anyway, thanks for providing the info.. :)

       
    • At January 31, 2008 at 6:30 AM, Blogger Lainy said…

      This is a very informative post RJ! Well done!

       
    • At January 31, 2008 at 9:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

      wow! nagpoproblog ka na rin ba kapatid?i

       
    • At February 1, 2008 at 6:17 AM, Blogger RJ said…

      @ scotty's princess thanks ate!!i tried my best..hope others will find it informative as well..

      @ manilenya hindi ate..feeling problogger lang..hehehe...nagkataon lang..hindi kasi ako nakapagtimpi hehehe :)

       
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     
    About Me

    Name: RJ
    Home: Baguio City, Philippines
    About Me: I'm pretty much normal and sane. Much like anybody I believe that each and every person is unique, with their strengths and weaknesses. Thus, everyone should be given a chance to prove themselves. I stand firm with my convictions, but that doesn't necessarily mean that nobody can prove me wrong, I have learned that one is entitled to his or her own opinion. Just the same, you won't usually see me standing in the sidelines waiting for somebody to prove a point. I guess this is the foremost reason why this blog was created... And so I leave it all up to you to read between the lines..and begin to know me with the way I express myself through my writings.. :)
    See my complete profile
    Previous Post
    Archives
    Links
    Powered by

    BLOGGER

    © Just about anything and everything under the sun.... .Blogspot Template by Isnaini Dot Com