Just about anything and everything under the sun....

 
Other Things
I seem to have lost some of my links due to the change in template. For those who want to be added please just leave a message in my shoutbox below! thanks!
other blogs I author
  • ang tambayan ni rj
  • Leave me a message :)

    Free chat widget @ ShoutMix
    >
    Stats!!
    Blog for the Day
    Soundz!!!


    MusicPlaylistRingtones
    Music Playlist at MixPod.com

    My Readers
    Lenten Season: What and Why is it?
    Thursday, March 20, 2008
    This is not my own writing..but for the sake of presenting some facts about the Lenten Season....


    The highlight of the year for
    Christians is Easter, the day when our
    Lord rose from the dead. Lent is a
    forty-day season of preparation for
    Easter. Lent always begins on a
    Wednesday, called Ash Wednesday.

    Why 40 days? Because, Jesus fasted and
    was tempted in the wilderness for 40
    days. Lent, then, is our time of
    fasting, prayer, temptation and
    repentance. Lent is not required
    anywhere in scriptures, but it has
    been a custom, which Christians have
    practiced for most of the last two
    thousand years.

    In many languages, the word "Lent"
    actually means "fast." This is where
    the custom of giving up something for
    Lent originated.

    However, just to confuse things, Lent
    is actually 46 days rather than 40
    days. Why? Because the 40 days of Lent
    are supposed to be days of fasting,
    which means days of discipline and
    self-restraint. But Sunday, the Lord's
    Day, should never be a day of fasting,
    but a day of celebration! So each
    Sunday we suspend our Lenten
    disciplines and celebrate. Lent is
    40 "fasting" days spread out over a
    total of 46 days beginning on Ash
    Wednesday.

    The focus of Lent was always
    threefold:

    It was a time to prepare new converts
    for baptism through intensive classes
    and instruction.
    It was a time for long-standing
    Christians to review their lives and
    renew their commitment to Jesus
    Christ.
    It was a time for backsliders to be
    restored to the faith.
    In every case, it is a time for
    serious, disciplined self-examination,
    a time spent in intensive prayer and
    repentance before the cross of
    Calvary.

    To represent the dark and serious
    business of Lent, one custom has been
    to strip the sanctuary of all flowers,
    candles, and colors during Lent. This
    custom helps us to turn inward and
    examine ourselves, even as it reminds
    us of the dark and colorless Sabbath
    day when Jesus lay dead in the tomb.

    Put simply, Lent is a time to examine
    ourselves carefully. Here are some
    questions upon which you might pray
    and meditate during Lent:

    Am I sharing gladly what I have with
    others, especially the stranger and
    the poor?
    Do I have a gracious and patient
    attitude with others, especially those
    who irritate me?
    Do I feel the power of connection to
    God and the church in corporate
    worship?
    How is my devotional and prayer life
    progressing? Am I listening to God
    more and complaining less? Is it time
    for a change or a growth in my Bible
    study and prayer life?
    What are the lurking sin problems,
    which still plague me?
    Am I as thoughtful and forgiving of
    family as others, or do I take my
    frustrations out on them?
    Do I speak up for the maligned and
    oppressed, or do I remain silent in
    order to remain popular?

    Labels: , ,

    posted by RJ @ Thursday, March 20, 2008  
    0 Comments:
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     
    About Me

    Name: RJ
    Home: Baguio City, Philippines
    About Me: I'm pretty much normal and sane. Much like anybody I believe that each and every person is unique, with their strengths and weaknesses. Thus, everyone should be given a chance to prove themselves. I stand firm with my convictions, but that doesn't necessarily mean that nobody can prove me wrong, I have learned that one is entitled to his or her own opinion. Just the same, you won't usually see me standing in the sidelines waiting for somebody to prove a point. I guess this is the foremost reason why this blog was created... And so I leave it all up to you to read between the lines..and begin to know me with the way I express myself through my writings.. :)
    See my complete profile
    Previous Post
    Archives
    Links
    Powered by

    BLOGGER

    © Just about anything and everything under the sun.... .Blogspot Template by Isnaini Dot Com